YAMPA VALLEY REGIONAL AIRPORT
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS HAYDEN CRAIG
Be safe, have fun and enjoy all this beautiful valley has to offer
no matter what time of year you visit!
High Altitude Health Tips
The mountains in and around the Yampa Valley are just waiting for visitors and locals to enjoy them.No one likes feeling sick while away from home, so start your vacation out right! Remember these health tips and avoid High Altitude Sickness:
- Give your body time to adjust. Avoid strenuous activities the first day!
- Drink plenty of water - the air is drier here and your body will dehydrate much more quickly.
- Limit alcohol and caffeine
- Prevent Sun Damage - use sunscreen (SPF 30+) The ultraviolet rays from the sun are much more intense at higher altitudes, therefore they are much more damaging. Remember, just because its a cloudy day, there is still a risk of sunburn!
- Sunglasses! Don't forget them!
- Weather here in the high country can change in a heartbeat. You might start out on that hike with the sun shining and all of a sudden, the sky goes dark, the rain begins to fall, lightening flashes, and it gets windy and cold. Be prepared! Dress in layers, bring extra clothes for sudden temperature changes, wear properly-fitting boots and gloves, avoid wet clothing.
- Always travel with a companion.